Sunday 16 July 2023

Practice Patience and Empathy

 Reflecting back on my initial year as a teacher in 2010, I recall a memorable experience with a student who had dyslexia and dysgraphia. At that time, I was unfamiliar with these terms and their implications. Nevertheless, I strongly believed in treating children with love and respect, just as we adults expect to be treated.

To support my student, I took the initiative to engage with him and his parents, seeking to understand the areas where he needed assistance. There were moments when he would approach me and say, "Ritu ma'am, I don't want to study today." Despite his occasional resistance to learning, he remained a loving, caring, and respectful child.

Establishing a connection with him came naturally, and the memories we created together will forever hold a special place in my heart. He was one of the first students I had the privilege of teaching, and he taught me invaluable lessons in patience, compassion, and understanding.

Each student from that first/inaugural class imparted significant insights to me. Some struggled with anger management, others had emotional needs, and some encountered challenges with writing or reading. They collectively demonstrated that every child is unique, highlighting the importance of practicing patience and empathy in our interactions.

I am immensely grateful for the opportunity to have taught those students. They remind me of the profound impact teachers can have on their students' lives. #inclusion #dei

No comments:

Post a Comment